BMW F650 Forums banner

hi ya

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sjpull1 
#1 ·
hi all my name is Steve and i brought my 1st f650st strada yesterday
its a 1999 model with 16000 miles on the clock colour is grey with a purple seat the bloke i brought it off said it needs a new chain and sprocket kit fiting to it ? i dont see why as its mileage is too low for a sprocket to be replaced so maybe just the chain will know more on friday when i have a day off
look forward to chatting with you all and will post some pictures up on friday
cheers
Steve

#2 ·
Hi Steve
Welcome here on the forum. I would change the chain and sprockets at the same time. They could be worn even at that milieage. You will find when yopu check the front sprocket that it will look worn.
It all depends how they have looked after the chain . Just changing the chain is a waist of money when you put them on the old sprockets.
What you can do next time and that is one way of saving money is change the front sprocket twice in the life of the chain.
The chain will last a bit longer if you do it that way because the front sprocket suffers a lot more.

Ton

#3 ·
thanks for the info will change the lot this is my first chain driven bike for 20 years all my others have been shaft drives i've had a bmw k1000 then a honda deauville went back to a k1100lt and my last was a pan euro but think i've done with big bikes now wanted something smaller in my old age lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.