BMW F650 Forums banner

Clutch drag

Tags
clutch drag
3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  adventurebiker 
#1 ·
My F650 twin when started in neutral fires up fine. but when trying to start up in gear, the engine is slow to turn over, as if the clutch is partially engaged. Clutch operation appears normal when riding. BMW will not acknowledge the problem, and on a recent service, pronounced the bike, and battery fully fit. Any thoughts, and anyone else with the same problem!:dunno:

#2 ·
Hi

I will be slightly slower to start when trying to start it in gear as you have something which is called clutch drag. Even when you release the clutch the oil is trying to keep a connection as there is oil trying to connect the friction plates and metal plates together.
But do check the amount of free play on the lever. If that is too much you will get problems with the gearchange too. And it will make the clutchdrag worse.

Ton

#4 ·
On my bike it isn't engaged when I release the clutch. The reason for this is that I have a dry clutch on my bike. All my other previous bikes had wet clutches. Is it okay when riding the bike? I prefer starting the bike in neutral anyway. I very rarely start the bike while it is in gear.

Ton

#6 ·
I stop on a hill with the bike in gear too as I prefer to push it forward while it is in gear and then put it on the side stand. But before I start the bike I very often put it in neutral and hold the brake on while starting the bike .

Ton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.